- 2 (9-inch) deep-dish pie crusts
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon clove
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1 (29-ounce) can pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. To “blind bake” pie crusts, place parchment paper in the bottom of pie crusts. Place pie weights or dried beans on top of paper. Place in oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes, until firm. Remove from oven; remove weights and paper. Return crusts to oven and bake 5 minutes longer, until light golden. Let cool 5 minutes before adding filling.
3. Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl; mix with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
4. Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk well. Pour into pie crusts.
5. Bake pies 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350F and continue baking 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle on topping. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. If fluted edges of crusts begin to brown too much, place foil rings or metal pie crust shields over edges during last 15 minutes of baking. Makes 2 pies. Serves 16.
Recipe by Chef Chris Koetke
Per serving (with topping): 550 calories, 30g fat, 125mg chol., 10g prot., 61g carbs., 3g fiber, 410mg sodium
Per serving (without topping): 390 calories, 20g fat, 105mg chol., 8g prot., 46g carbs., 3g fiber, 370mg sodium