Grilled Anchovies With Roasted Garlic Croutons And Aioli
- 1 pound fresh anchovies (or sardines or mackerel)
- 2 garlic heads wrapped in foil, and baked at 350 degrees for one hour
- 2 eggs
- 4 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 lemons in wedges
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil from Provence
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lukewarm water - (to 2)
- 4 pieces French bread
Preheat grill or broiler.
Scale and gut anchovies (or sardines or mackerel), leaving heads and tails intact (or have your fish monger do this for you). Squeeze roasted garlic heads carefully to remove paste and set aside.
To make aioli, place eggs and garlic cloves in a blender with lemon juice and blend to mix. With blender running, add oil in a thin drizzle to form a thick emulsion. Remove, season with salt and pepper and thin to desired consistency with 1 to 2 tablespoons lukewarm water.
Place anchovies on grill and cook through, about 1 to 2 minutes per side, and then remove to plates. Grill bread and smear with garlic puree. Place 1 slice of bread on each plate and serve with lemon wedges and aioli in center.
This recipe yields 4 servings as an appetizer.