Apple Puff Up Pancake - Dutch Baby
Freshly sliced apples are quickly sauteed in butter, and then sweetened with brown sugar and cinnamon. A quick batter of flour, milk, eggs and vanilla is poured over the apples and baked at high heat. The pancake puffs up to a beautiful golden brown. A squeeze of lemon juice and powdered sugar-- and you have a delicious and very quick breakfast dish!
This recipe comes from Relish Magazine, but is also known as a "Dutch Baby or German Pancakes".
- 10-inch cast iron skillet or oven-proof skillet
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 to 2 teaspoons boiled apple cider syrup, optional (purchased online at King Arthur Flour)
- Lemon juice, optional
- Powdered sugar, optional
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat oven to 450°F and place rack in center of oven. Peel, core and slice apple. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour and vanilla until smooth.
Melt butter in a 10-inch cast iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Spread apples in pan and cook for 4 minutes. Turn apples and continue cooking 3 minutes. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over apples and cook another minute or until sugar begins to melt. Remove pan from heat, stir apples lightly to coat with sugar, and then top with batter.
Bake 15 minutes or until mixture puffs up and turns golden brown around edges. Remove from oven and cut into four wedges. Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
You'll also love
- Classic Pumpkin Roll with Orange... 4.4/5 (38 Votes)
- Cranberry Orange Muffins-Dunkin... 4.4/5 (45 Votes)
- Spicy Jalapeño Philly Cheese... 4.4/5 (40 Votes)
- Baked Apple French Toast 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Chicken, Pomegranate & Cashew... 4.6/5 (27 Votes)
- Apple Custard Pie with Streusel... 4/5 (41 Votes)
- Cornmeal and Ricotta Waffles 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Savory Ham & Cheese Muffins 4.5/5 (30 Votes)