Peach and Ginger Cream Shortcakes
- 2 cups flour
- 13 TBS sugar, divided (6 TBS / 1 TBS / 4 TBS)
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 8 TBS chilled butter, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger, divided (1/4 cup / 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup ginger ale
- 3 TBS plus 1 1/4 cups chilled heavy cream, divided (2 TBS / 1 TBS / 1.25 cups)
- 4 large peaches, halved, thinly sliced
Adapted from bonappetit.com
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk flour, 6 TBS sugar, and baking powder in large bowl.
2. Add butter; rub in with fingertips until very coarse meal forms (oatmeal size flakes). Mix in 1/4 cup chopped ginger. Add ginger ale and 2 TBS cream. Toss until moist clumps form. Gather dough into 7" log. Cut cross-wise into 6 equal rounds. Place on sheet. Shape each into a 2.5 inch diameter round.
3. Mix 1 TBS cream and 1 TBS sugar in small bowl; brush over top and sides of shortcake.
4. Bake shortcakes until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, 20-22 minutes. Cool on sheet.
5. Meanwhile, toss peaches in large bowl with 4 TBS sugar and remaining 1/4 cup chopped ginger. Whisk remaining 1 1/4 cups cream and 2 TBS sugar in medium bowl to peaks.
6. Halve shortcakes horizontally. Place bottoms on plates. Top each with peaches, whipped cream, and shortcake top.
Makes 6 servings. Each serving = 15 Weight Watchers points.