White Bean Vegetable Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 (15-oz can or 1 1/2 cups dried and cooked) can Great Northern beans or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14-oz can fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 3 Tbsp long grain brown rice
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 1-lb pkg frozen turkey or beef meatballs, optional
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, celery and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 7 mins. Add beans, tomatoes, broth, water, rice, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
2. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
3. If using meatballs, cook according to package directions. During last 10 minutes of cooking soup, add meatballs.