Table 34 Las Vegas
- 3-4 medium to large globe eggplants (I used 1, slices were not uniform, but worked)
- 2 medium zucchini squash
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 cup sliced exotic mushrooms (shiitake, cremini or oyster)(I bought mixed)
- 4 oz. fresh basil (chiffonade)
- 1 jar premium organic vegan marinara (or homemade if possible)(Ragu Hearty Traditional)
- extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Marsala wine (I used dry white wine)
- optional additional vegetable to accompany dish, such as grilled asparagus
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from lasvegasweekly.com
Method: Wash eggplant and slice into ½-inch thick slices. Soak in salted ice water for five minutes. Slice zucchini lengthwise into ⅛-inch thick pieces. Roast, peel, seed and julienne red pepper. Sauté mushrooms in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and deglaze with Marsala.
Pat eggplant dry, sprinkle with black pepper and toss with balsamic and olive oil, then grill for a couple minutes on each side. Toss zucchini in olive oil and salt and pepper and also grill on each side. Oil a baking sheet and heat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange six slices of eggplant on sheet, topping two pieces with zucchini and two with mushrooms. Put marinara sauce on those four pieces. Top the last two pieces of eggplant with roasted peppers and place the sheet in the oven for 10 minutes.
To plate, use a wide spatula to lift eggplant slices and place in the center of the plate.
Stack different kinds carefully, with the roasted pepper-topped eggplant slice as the final layer. Place a dollop of marinara next to the stack and top with basil. Garnish plate with optional grilled asparagus or vegetable of your choice.