Candied Bacon is delicious and easy to make. Great to make for brunch or just a snack. Have a piece or two with your Bloody Mary or put some on top of Vanilla Ice Cream!
- ◾8-10 Slices Uncooked Bacon
- ◾3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- ◾4 Teaspoons Chili Powder
Adapted from hotdishhomemaker.com
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cookie cooling rack on top of the foil. If your cookie cooling rack isn’t the non-stick variety, spray it with a little non stick cooking spray and set it aside.
3. In a shallow baking dish (select a dish close to the length of the Bacon), stir together the Brown Sugar and Chili Powder with a fork until well combined.
4. Dredge the Bacon one piece at a time into the Brown Sugar mixture. Give it a little pat to ensure the mixture is sticking to the Bacon.
5. Lay each piece of Bacon on the cookie cooling rack
6. Bake in the preheated oven 20-40 minutes. All ovens cook differently so check at 20 minutes. You want the sugar to carmelize on the Bacon and for the Bacon to be done/cooked through.
◾the first time I made this, I undercooked my Candied Bacon. Just look for the Bacon to be done as it is when you fry it…not the over crispy version but just cooked through, and lightly browned, slightly crisp on the edges. If you let it get too dark brown in color and too crisp, it will be overdone, so stop just short of that. Let the Bacon rest a minute and it will firm up from the carmelized sugar.
7. Once the Bacon is done, transfer it to a serving plate, right away, otherwise the Bacon with its carmelized sugar, will stick to the rack as it cools.
~You might want to make two batches because it will be eaten quickly! So yummy!
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker