Pan-Raosted Chicken with Fennel, Parsnips & Scallions
One of the most romantic meals I can think of is a pan-roasted chicken for two. Simple, elegant, and delicious. Buy the highest quality chicken you can afford.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 3 1/2 to 4 pound chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced lengthwise 1/2-inch thick
- 2 large parsnips, peeled, sliced 1/2-inch thick on the diagonal
- 1 bunch scallions
- 3 wide strips lemon zest
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper and cook, breast side down, until a beautiful golden brown. Use tongs to gently rotate chicken, being careful not to tear skin, and brown on all sides, 12–15 minutes total; transfer to a plate. Reserve skillet.
Toss fennel, parsnips, scallions, and lemon zest in skillet with remaining 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Place chicken, breast side up, on top of vegetables. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of chicken thigh registers 165°, 35–40 minutes. (You can also check doneness by cutting into thigh meat right at the joint. If the juices run clear, the bird is ready.) Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest at least 10 minutes before carving.
Serve chicken and vegetables with pan juices for spooning over and lemon wedges.
You'll also love
- Candied BaconRecipe 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Red Quinoa, Black Bean and Avocado... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Teriyaki Chickpeas 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Creamy Hot Artichoke Dip 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Stuffed Acorn Squash 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Fennel And Orange Salad 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Mashed Potato, Rutabaga, And... 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Fennel-Coriander Top Sirloin Roast 4.3/5 (6 Votes)