Caramel Banana Upside Down Bread
- For the Caramel Glaze:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into several pieces
- 2 About 2 bananas, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
1.Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9X5 inch loaf pan.
2.Spread the brown sugar on the bottom of the loaf pan. If using nuts, sprinkle them evenly over the sugar. Dot with the butter. Put it in the oven for about 8 minutes. Stir the mixture until dissolved and spread evenly on the bottom of the pan. Place a single layer of the banana slices on top of the sugar mixture along the entire bottom of the pan.
3.Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add all the remaining wet ingredients and beat just until combined. Do not over-beat.
4.Pour the batter over the sliced bananas in the pan.
5.In an oven preheated to 325 degrees F, bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean but moist.
6.Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before inverting it on a cake platter.
7.To prepare the Caramel Glaze, place the butter, brown sugar and heavy cream in a small saucepan (you can also microwave the ingredients for a minute). Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let it sit for a minute. Pour over banana side of loaf.