Spaghetti with Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Adapted from damndelicous.net
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and onion to the skillet, and cook, stirring often, until onions have become translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
Stir in crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, parsley and red pepper flakes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in balsamic vinegar.
Stir in milk and heavy cream until well combined and heated through, about 2 minutes.
Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan and parsley, if desired.