Spicy, Salty, Sweet Roasted Mix Nuts
These roasted nuts are almost impossible to stop eating! They're super easy to make, and they make fantastic party snacks. Try them this weekend!
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon sumac or sweet paprika
- 1 to 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (depending on desired heat)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 or 7 cups mixed nuts, such as peanuts, cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans and walnuts
- 2 large egg whites
Sumac can be found in Middle Eastern markets and grocery stores.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the egg whites. In another bowl, add the egg whites and whisk until very soft peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add to the nut mixture and coat well. Place the coated nuts onto 2 baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, remove, turn the nuts with a spatula, and rotate the pans, putting the bottom pan on the top rack. Return for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until the nuts are golden brown and the shredded coconut is a deep golden color (but not burned).
Remove from heat and don't stir more often than needed, or the spices won't adhere as well. When completely cool, place in individual bags or in an airtight container. Nuts can be stored 5 days in an airtight container