Cilantro Lime Basmati Brown Rice
Such a great, flavorful rice recipe. I made this for my daughter's graduation party and it was a huge hit.
1/2 per serving
Makes 8 cups
- 2 1/2 cups (1-pound) uncooked basmati brown rice
- 4 cups (1-quart) vegetable broth (low sodium preferred)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or more, to taste, if using low-sodium broth)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano (Mexican preferred)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 1/4 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from pin.it
Add rice and vegetable broth to 3 quart pan; bring to boil over high heat, give it a quick stir, cover and lower heat to lowest simmer setting. Continue to simmer on low for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes, or until any remaining liquid in bottom of pan is absorbed. Fluff with fork.
While rice cooks, whisk together the garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt, oregano, cumin, and pepper. Pour over cooked rice, add the cilantro, and lightly toss with fork until combined. Taste and add salt, if desired.
Freezes and reheats well. Rice and broth may be cooked in a rice cooker instead of on stove top. Recipe may be doubled.