Sweet And Sour Cabbage And Smoked Sausage Soup
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 cabbage head quartered, cored, and roughly diced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes with added puree - (28 oz)
- 1 can beef broth - (14 1/2 oz)
- 1 can low-sodium chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar - (packed)
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound smoked beef kielbasa sausage split lengthwise, and cut in 1/2" thick slices
- 1 can tomato soup - (10 3/4 oz)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice - (to 5)
- 2 tablespoons minced Italian parsley (optional garnish) (or snipped chives)
Heat the oil in a 4-quart pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, crushed tomatoes, beef and chicken broths, sugar, paprika, red pepper flakes, allspice, salt, pepper to taste and the water. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
Add the sausage and tomato soup. Simmer 10 minutes longer. (This can be made 2 days ahead and refrigerated or frozen up to 1 month. To serve, gently reheat until hot. Add more water if the soup is too thick.)
Stir in 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. Taste; adjust the lemon juice and seasoning. Serve hot, garnished with parsley or chives, if using.
This recipe yields 6 main-course servings.
Each serving: 327 calories; 1,713 mg sodium; 38 mg cholesterol; 19 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 30 grams carbohydrates; 12 grams protein; 2.77 grams fiber.
You'll also love
- Hot and Sour Mushroom, Cabbage,... 4.5/5 (176 Votes)
- SMOKED SAUSAGE FATTY 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Smoked Sausage Overnight Breakfast... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lemon Crumb Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Japanese Asparagus With Pounded... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Food Processor Potato Latkes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Turkey In A Bag With Molly's... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lamb Chop With A Cassoulet Of Pole... 0/5 (0 Votes)