Potatoes and Sausage Skillet Fry
- 1/2 lb bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 cups red potatoes or 2 cups yellow potatoes, diced to 1/2 inch
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon new mexico chile powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1/2 cup colby or 1/2 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
Preparation time 15mins
Adapted from food.com
In a 10 inch cast iron skillet crumble and brown the breakfast sausage over medium heat. The crumbles should be about marble sized and cooked through. Remove the sausage from the pan and drain on paper towels. Reserve for later and try not to eat it all.
If you must, pour off or blot a little of the sausage grease out of the pan, but really you don't have to. Add the cubed potatoes to the pan and stir to coat with the grease and to keep them from sticking. Liberally salt and pepper the potatoes and sprinkle with garlic powder. Stir and turn again, turn the heat down a little and put a lid on the pan. Check the potatoes every 5 to 10 minutes, stirring and turning so they brown evenly.
When the potatoes are almost done add the onion to the pan. Turn and cook another 10 minutes or so or until the onion is cooked and the potatoes are browned and cooked through.
Add the sausage back to the pan and cover everything with the cheese. Put the lid back on the pan and let the cheese melt, another 2-4 minutes.
Serve with slices of tomatoes, a sprinkling of parsley or other fresh herbs or just ketchup.
You'll also love
- Shrimp Scampi 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Paleo Cranberry Bars 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Golden Chicken Breasts with... 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Lasagna 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Carrot Cupcakes w/Cream Cheese... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Sausage Gravy 4.6/5 (16 Votes)