Brazilian Black Bean Stew
The flavors in this Brazilian Black Bean stew are amazing. Smokiness from the ham hocks, a little heat from the jalapeños and some citrus sweetness from the orange peel and juice. Serve over hot cooked rice.
- 12 ounces dried black beans
- 8 cups water
- 2 large smoked ham hocks
- 4 cups reduced-chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions (3 medium)
- 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked rice (optional)
Preparation time 90mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from bhg.com
Rinse beans. In a large saucepan combine beans and the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or place beans in water in saucepan. Cover and let soak in a cool place overnight.) Drain and rinse beans. Place beans in a 4-quart slow cooker.
To slow cooker add ham hocks, broth, onions, jalapeno peppers, garlic, orange peel, orange juice, and sherry.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Transfer ham hocks to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, use two forks to pull ham away from bones into shreds. Discard bones; return shredded ham to slow cooker. Stir in cilantro.
If desired, serve stew over hot cooked rice.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (891 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (905 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (742 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (499 Votes)
- Texas Trash Warm Bean Dip 4.5/5 (184 Votes)
- Minestrone Soup 4.4/5 (150 Votes)
- Tuscan White Bean Salad with... 4.4/5 (128 Votes)