Hot Brown Turkey Sandwiches
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups grated muenster or monterey jack cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 thick slices white bread, toasted
- Dijon mustard, for spreading
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 3 cups shredded or sliced roast turkey or rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Preheat the broiler. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour out all but about 1 tablespoon fat from the skillet.
Make the gravy: Add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, 1 more minute. Increase the heat to medium high, add the milk and chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the bread on a baking sheet. Spread each slice with mustard, then drizzle with some of the gravy and top with the sliced tomato. Toss the turkey with the remaining gravy in the skillet. Divide the turkey evenly among the bread slices, then sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Broil until golden, about 2 minutes.
Crumble the bacon over the sandwiches; sprinkle with the parsley.
Per serving: Calories 524; Fat 23 g (Saturated 12 g); Cholesterol 134 mg; Sodium 868 mg; Carbohydrate 32 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 45 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
You'll also love
- French Apple Tart 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Strawberry Lemonade 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Herb Rubbed Sirloin Tip Pork Roast 4.3/5 (34 Votes)
- Roasted Corned Beef 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Turkey Meatloaf with Ketchup-Brown... 4.5/5 (27 Votes)
- Kentucky Hot Brown 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- The Real Kentucky Hot Brown Recipe 4.5/5 (11 Votes)