Mom's Apple Crisp
Now you can have your crisp and eat it too. :) This is Weight Watchers version of the all-American favorite. Less fat and calories, but still has all the taste of a great apple crisp.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons light stick butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 3 lbs golden delicious apples or 3 lbs jonathan apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from food.com
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a shallow 1-1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
To make the topping, combine the 1/2 cup flour, the oats, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. With a pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor-fashion, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water and firmly press mixture to form clumps.
To make the filling, mix the granulated sugar, the 2 tablespoons flour, the nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl. Add the apples and vanilla; mix well. Transfer to the baking dish. Sprinkle the topping over the filling. Bake until the filling is bubbling and the topping is golden, 55 - 60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.