Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
THE best homemade tomato soup that ever lived!! IMO
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion (1 medium)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (Red Gold brand recommended)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried chopped garlic (or 2 cloves fresh, minced)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions; sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, reduce heat to medium-low and cook onions for about 10 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently.
Stir in the chicken broth, water, tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika. Increase heat to bring back to a boil; then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, fill a medium pot with water and 1 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil then add the orzo. Cook for exactly 6 minutes. (It will finish cooking in the soup.) Drain orzo in a strainer.
Whisk the heavy cream into the soup until combined. Add the orzo and bring back to a simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Serve hot with homemade croutons or a grilled cheese sandwich.