Louisiana Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 large red-skinned sweet potatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Peel and cut 1 sweet potato into 2-inch chunks. Place in roasting pan with garlic cloves. Drizzle olive oil over and sprinkle with salt to taste. Roast at 400 degrees until tender, about 25 minutes.
Mash roasted potato and garlic through sieve. Stir broth into yam mixture and add 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt and whipping cream. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes. Blend soup in blender until very smooth. Taste for salt and add more if needed. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Cut second yam into 1/2-inch cubes to make at least 1 cup. Fry in remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until crisp and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Float "croutons" on top of each soup serving.
This recipe yields 6 cups.
Each (1-cup) serving: 360 calories; 722 mg sodium; 120 mg cholesterol; 36 grams fat; 6 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams protein; 0.11 gram fiber
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (891 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (904 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (742 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (452 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (96 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Casserole Ruth Chris'... 4.4/5 (96 Votes)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes 4.5/5 (91 Votes)