Black Beans and Rice
even better the next day
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 (15 oz) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced (I had to use jarred jalapenos cause apparently grocery stores around me don't have fresh jalapenos -- yeah, seriously?, so if you're using it from a jar, grab 2 large fingerfuls of them and chop them up finely)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Any kind of rice
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from tablefortwoblog.com
1.In a large pot, saute onions, peppers, and garlic until the onions and peppers start to get soft. Then add in the bay leaf and cumin.
2.Add in tomatoes, jalapenos, beans, and vinegar. Let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3.Add water to cover your mixture.
4.Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes until the bean mixture starts to thicken.
5.Prior to serving, discard bay leaf and add salt & pepper to taste.
6.Serve over a bed of rice.