Sunset Orzo with Spanish Shrimp
Taste the flavors of Spain with this orzo dish with Chorizo sausage and saffron, topped with sautéed shrimp. Serve with a spring greens salad with vinaigrette.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 pound orzo pasta
- 2 pinches saffron threads
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 pound Spanish chorizo, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/3 cup green peas
- 1 pound medium shelled and deveined shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from rachaelraymag.com
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the orzo and cook until just al dente. Drain and cover.
While the pasta is working, in a small saucepan, steep the saffron in the chicken broth over low heat.
In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook until browned, 2 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and turmeric and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the peas.
In another medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until pink and firm, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley, paprika and lemon juice; season with salt. Remove from the heat.
Pour the saffron broth over the chorizo and vegetables. Add the orzo and toss for 2 minutes. To serve, top the orzo with the shrimp
You'll also love
- Lemon Apricot Lush Dessert 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Zucchini-Applesauce Chocolate-Chip... 3.9/5 (16 Votes)
- Rigatoni with Meaty Mushroom... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Seared Sea Scallops with... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Ham & Cheese Gnocchi 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Mango Shrimp Tacos (or Salad) 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Italian Turkey & Orzo Soup 4.2/5 (21 Votes)
- Lemon-Dill Orzo Pasta Salad with... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)