Austin Texas Cornbread (from Z' Tejas)
This recipe comes from Austin's own Z' Tejas Southwestern Grill. They have the best cornbread in the world!
- 1 1/2 cups corn meal
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 cup yogurt (plain)
- 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon cream corn
- 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon corn (frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Adapted from ztejas.com
Mix all dry ingredients together. In a large mixing bowl, whisk all wet ingredients together. Then add dry ingredients to form batter.
Spray a cast iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray and then fill with the batter (about 2/3 full - you may have leftover batter so make some muffins).
Bake at 400 degrees for 16 minutes. Rotate after 8 minutes.
Test by using a toothpick in the center of the corn bread. Toothpick should come out clean.