Pumpkin Swirl Bread
This combination of pumpkin, nuts and dates makes a flavorful bread with a beautiful golden look. The surprise inside—a rich creamy swirl— is almost like a luscious layer of cheesecake in each slice.
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Additional chopped walnuts
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 8x4-in. loaf pans.
In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth.
2. In a large bowl, beat sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil and water until well
blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, pie spice, soda, cinnamon,
salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into pumpkin
mixture. Stir in walnuts, raisins and dates.
3. Pour half of the batter into prepared pans, dividing evenly. Spoon
filling over batter. Cover filling completely with remaining batter.
4. Bake 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in bread portion
comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire
racks to cool completely. Wrap in foil; refrigerate until serving.
5. Just before serving, if desired, in a small bowl, mix confectioners’
sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach a drizzling consistency.
Drizzle over bread; sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 3 loaves (16