Grilled Jerk Chicken With Mango Cilantro Salsa
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions coarsely chopped
- 1 large Scotch bonnet pepper stemmed, seeded
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 4 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- 4 skin-on chicken drumsticks
- Mango-Cilantro Relish (see recipe)
To prepare the jerk chicken: Puree all the ingredients, except the chicken, in a food processor until almost smooth. Pierce the chicken with a fork to make tiny holes. Place the chicken in a large shallow baking dish and rub the marinade into the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours, depending on how intense you want the flavor to be.
Grill chicken on each side for 5 to 6 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with the Mango-Cilantro Relish.
This recipe yields 4 servings.