The Sublime Ice Cream Sandwich
Super-chocolaty, dense, and crisp around the edges, these cookies are rich enough to pass as truffles. Fill them with scoops of your favorite ice cream (we like to mix it up with pistachio, salted caramel, and strawberry) for an indulgent take on the ice cream truck's best seller.
- 8 T (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 8 oz dark chocolate (64% cacao or higher), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 T Dutch-processed cocoa powder (99% cacao)
- 1/4 t fine sea salt
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 2 lg eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 c dark-chocolate chips (64% cacao or higher)
- 1 pt ice cream (any flavor)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 450mins
Adapted from instyle.com
1. Melt butter & dark chocolate in a double boiler over low heat, stirring until melted. Cool completely.
2. Combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, & baking soda in a small bowl; set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs & sugar in a lg bowl on high speed until light & fluffy, ~ 2 min. Add vanilla & cooled melted chocolate mixture. Beat for 1-2 min until combined.
4. Scrape down sides of bowl, and using a lg rubber spatula, stir in flour mixture just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips. Cover w/plastic wrap & refrigerate for at least 4 hrs.
5. Position a rack in the center of the oven & preheat to 350F. Line a baking sheet w/parchment paper.
6. Wet your hands & roll dough into 1" balls, placing them ~ 2" apart on the baking sheet.
7. Bake for 10-15 min, until edges have risen slightly & centers are mostly set. Remove from oven & allow to cool. Transfer cookies to a sheet pan & freeze for 1 hr.
1. Remove cookies from the freezer. Place 8 cookies bottom side up & scoop 1/4c softened ice cream onto each.
2. Top each w/a 2nd cookie; press down to flatten.
3. Return sandwich to freezer, covered, for at least 2 hrs to harden.