PORTUGUESE CLAMS & CHORIZO W/SPICY TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 large red onion
- 6 medium garlic cloves
- 1 can tomatoes (16 ounces)
- 1 1/2 ounces prosciutto
- 8 ounces spicy link sausages preferably chorizo or linquisa
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tbs. Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Hot red pepper flakes or 1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbs. Minced parsley
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 30 small clams or 18 large
- 2 tbs. Minced cilantro leaves (I omit)
Peel, halve & thinly slice the onion. Peel & mince the garlic. Coarsely chop tomatoes & reserve with juices. Cut prosciutto into 1 ½ x 1/4 inch julienne strips.
Adjust oven rack to middle position & heat oven to 400 degrees. Prick sausages, put them in a small baking pan & bake until browned, about 20 minutes. Transfer sausages to a work surface, reserving pan drippings. Cool sausages slightly & cut into 1 inch pieces.
Heat oil & reserved drippings in a large skillet. Add onions & cook over low heat until softened, about 30 minutes. Add paprika & red pepper flakes; cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes with juices, prosciutto, sausages, parsley, wine & bay leaf; simmer to blend flavors, about 10 minutes. (Can cool, cover & refrigerate overnight)
(Bring sauce to a simmer if refrigerated) Add clams, over, and steam over medium heat until shells open, about 7 to 8 minutes for small clams, 15 minutes for large clams; discard any clams that do not open. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
Note: I put par boiled pieces of potato into sauce to make it more stew like. Have also put on top of pasta.
You'll also love
- Caldo Aldo de Camaron (Mexican... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Garlicky Appetizer Shrimp Scampi 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Jiffy Scalloped Corn Casserole 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Famous Dave's Smoked Pulled Pork 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Bacon & Bourbon Collards (Southern... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Sausage Stuffing (Dressing) 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Outback Clam chowder 3.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Jimmy Dean Sausage Cheese Dip 3.5/5 (2 Votes)