- 6 ripe tomatoes - (2 1/2" to 3" dia)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
- 1/4 cup minced scallions, white and green parts - (2 scallions)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic - (2 cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Good olive oil as needed
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Cut the cores from the tomatoes, removing as little as possible. Cut them in half crosswise and, with your fingers, remove the seeds and juice. Place the tomato halves in a baking dish.
In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, scallions, basil, parsley, garlic, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle the tomato halves generously with salt and pepper. With your hands, fill the cavities and cover the tops of the tomatoes with the bread crumb mixture.
Bake the tomatoes for 15 minutes, or until they're tender. Sprinkle with the cheese, drizzle with olive oil, and bake for 30 seconds more. Serve hot or at room temperature.
This recipe yields 8 servings.