Baby Leaf Salad With Bacon
- 8 ounces good bacon
- 1 extra-large egg yolk room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, large chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups good olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan plus
- 1/4 pound chunk of very good parmesan
- Mesculun greens washed, spun dry
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay the bacon on a baking sheet, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until crisp. Dry on paper towels and large dice.
For the dressing, place the egg yolk, mustard, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into the bowl of a food processor fitted with steel blade. Process until smooth. With the food processor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube (as though you were making mayonnaise) and process until thick. Add 1/2 cup grated Parmesa and pulse 3 times.
Toss the lettuce with enough dressing to moisten well. Divide the lettuce among 4 plates. With a very sharp knife or a vegetable peeler, shave the Parmesan into large shards and arrange them on the lettuce. Sprinkle the diced bacon over the salad and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.