Roasted Tomato Soup
- 8 lbs plum tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and whole
- 1 medium red onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 sprigs oregano, remove leaves from stem
- 12 -16 basil leaves
- 4 to taste salt
- 4 to taste pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shaved or grated (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Wash and cut tomatoes, placing in a shallow baking dish cut side down.
Add onion pieces, garlic, oregano and basil to the pan.
Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 45 minutes.
Place roasted vegetables in food processor bowl or blender and begin puree. Slowly add broth or water until soup has desired consistency. Continue blending until smooth.
An immersion blender also works very well. (If you warm the broth first, the soup will be hot without reheating.).
Serve garnished with cheese if desired