Tomato Swiss Brushetta Sandwiches
- Recipe By : Post Tribune
- Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
- Categories : Sandwiches
- Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
- 8 slices European-style baguette -- 1 1/2 in. thick
- 4 teaspoons bottled Italian vinaigrette dressing
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (4-6 ounces each)
- 4 thin, slice Swiss cheese
- 16 fresh basil or argula leaves or watercress
- sprigs for garnish
Position oven rack in upper middle of oven, and turn on oven broiler. Cut 8 slices of bread about 1 1/2 inches thick. Pour vinaigrette, 1 teaspoon at a time onto a small plate such as a bread dessert plate. Swirl plate to spread our vinaigrette thinly. Dip cut side of one piece of bread into vinaigrett to coat lightly. Place bread vinaigrette side up on a large baking sheet. Repeat with remaining slices, adding more vinaigrette to plate as needed.
Core tomatoes and cut into roughly 1/4 inch wide slices. Place on or two slices of tomato on each piece of bread, cutting slices in half to fit and overlapping if necessary. Cut cheese slices in half and place one piece over tomato on each sandwich, again cutting and overlapping as necessary to fit. Place baking sheet in over and cook until cheese begins to melt, about 4-5 minutes.(Use upper middle portion of oven to give tomato and bread time to warm before cheese melts.) Remove sandwiches from oven. Use a metal spatula to remove sandwiches to a serving plate, and garnish each sandwich with two basil leaves. Serve immediately.