Chicken Breasts With Mushrooms
- 3 whole chicken breasts split, skinned, and boned
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dill weed crushed, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms
- 5 teaspoons unsalted butter or margarine divided
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped onion
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine divided (or apple juice)
- 1 bay leaf
Sprinkle chicken breasts with lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of the dill and white pepper; set aside.
Rinse, pat dry and slice mushrooms (makes about 5 1/2 cups). In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add mushrooms and onion, saute until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet, set aside.
Dredge chicken breasts with flour. In the same skillet add remaining 3 tablespoons butter along with oil; heat until hot. Add chicken, brown well on both sides over moderate heat, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Pour off excess fat in skillet. Add the reserved mushrooms and onions along with 3/4 cup of the water, 1/4 cup of the wine and the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove chicken and mushrooms to a serving platter.
To skillet add remaining 1/4 cup each water and wine along with remaining 1/2 teaspoon dill. Bring to boiling point, stirring to loosen browned particles. Serve over chicken and mushrooms.
This recipe yields 6 servings.