Impressive to look at, fabulous to eat. Serve as a starter, side dish or a light meal over mixed greens.
- 1 1/2 pound(s) uncooked beets, 2 red and 2 golden
- 5 oz soft-type goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup(s) chives, or tarragon, fresh, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, or to taste
Scrub beets thoroughly but leave skin on. Cook beets by either steaming or roasting them until fork tender (about 1 hour depending on cooking method and size of beets).
While beets are cooking, in a small bowl, combine goat cheese with chives and pepper (add about 1 to 2 tablespoons hot water to make spread creamier, if necessary).
When beets are tender, remove from heat source and cool. When cool enough to handle, slip skin off with a paper towel. Trim ends and slice each beet into 8 even slices.
To make stacks, place 8 red beet slices and 8 golden beet slices on a work surface; spread an even, thick layer of cheese mixture over each. Top each beet stack with a slice of the other color beet; sprinkle each stack lightly with salt and drizzle with vinegar. Yields 2 stacks per serving.