Roasted Red Onion Stuffed With Brown Mushrooms, Thyme, Zest
- 4 large red onions
- 20 Swiss brown mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
Roast the red onions in a moderate oven until tender, the time will vary depending on the size of the onion approx 30 minutes, then cool.
Remove the outside layer of the onion and discard, cut the top 1/3rd of the onion off and set aside. Scoop out the center of the onion to form a cup.
Chop the onions that you scooped out and saute in 1 tablespoon of butter with the crushed garlic. Cut the Swiss Brown mushrooms in quarters and add to the onion mix and cook until tender and juicy. Add the Worchestershire sauce and the lemon zest and cook until most of the moisture has evaporated. Add the chopped thyme and season well with cracked black pepper and sea salt to taste.
Spoon the mix, while warm, into the onion cups until slightly over filled and place the top back on, brush with melted butter. Warm in a hot oven and serve immediately.
Serve this with a petit mesculen salad and citrus dressing.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (814 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- French Onion Soup 4.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Cheese & Onion Enchiladas with... 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- French Onion Supper Soup 4.4/5 (105 Votes)
- Sauted Cabbage with Bacon and Red... 4.5/5 (53 Votes)