Soba Noodles with Grilled Shrimp and Cilantro
Garlicky, spicy and bright with lime, this noodle dish is both warming and energizing, according to Thai tradition. Just don't skimp on the lime wedges or cilantro: "The sour juice protects the respiratory system in the early spring," Su-Mei Yu says, "and cilantro helps when you're congested."
Notes One serving 234 cal, 26 gm carb, 8 gm fat, 1.5 gm sat fat, 16 gm protein, less than 1 gm fiber.
Tangy dishes like these lime-inflected noodles pair better with tangy wines; softer wines tend to lose their flavor. Try a dry Australian Riesling—they're crisp, vivid and great with Asian cuisines.
- 12 ounces soba noodles
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Lime wedges, for serving
Adapted from foodandwine.com
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook, stirring, until tender, 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the oil with the soy sauce, tamari and agave syrup. Add the noodles and toss.
2. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden brown and crisp, 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to paper towels. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat until golden and crisp, 2 minutes. Transfer the garlic to the paper towels.
3. Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a bowl, combine the lime zest and juice with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Stir in the shrimp and season with salt. Grill the shrimp over high heat, turning once, until glazed and just white throughout, 3 minutes.
4. Arrange the noodles on a large platter. Sprinkle with the scallions, cilantro, crushed red pepper and the fried shallots and garlic. Arrange the shrimp on top and serve with lime wedges alongside.
You'll also love
- Quinoa-Beet Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lemon Dill Vinaigrette 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Barilla Angel Hair with Tomatoes,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta with Sausage & Peppers 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Paprika 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crispy Flounder and Roasted... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- CLAM CASSEROLE 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Avocado & Shrimp Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)