(Crockpot) Mongolian Beef
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 sliced green onions--one is for garnish
- 1 t dried minced onion (or 1/2 fresh onion, diced very small)
- 1/2 cup gluten free soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 1/2 T white wine vinegar (optional)
- 1 t sesame oil
- 1 t molasses
- 1 t ginger
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1 t red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 T peanut butter (if allergic, use black bean paste)
- 3 T brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (to dredge meat--don't add to sauce mixture)
slice your meat in thin strips and toss in a Ziploc bag with cornstarch.
add all of the liquid and dried spices to your crockpot, and the peanut butter, and mix well.
Add the garlic and three of the sliced green onions.
If you are using fresh onion, add that now, too.
put your meat on top, and toss gingerly to coat.
Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Flank steak is thin and have very little fat, and will cook quickly. There isn't a lot of liquid in this dish, so if your crock tends to cook hot, please check it after 3 hours.
The meat is done when it is no longer pink and has reached desired tenderness.
I cooked our meat in a 6qt oval Smart Pot and it was done after 4 hours on low.
Serve over steamed or fried rice, and garnish with freshly sliced green onion.