Succulent Braised Pork by Melissa d'Arabian
This braised pork recipe comes from Food Network's newest chef, Melissa d'Arabian. It's definitely budget conscious and very easy to make. It reminds me of Osso Bucco. The pork is very tender and the sauce is a thick rich tomatoey flavor, enhanced by red wine. The vegetables look beautiful. This recipe earned five stars at our dinner table. Definitely comfort food.
For step-by-step photos, please visit my food blog at:
- 2 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 6 large chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock or broth
- 1 bunch parsley stems, tied with string
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 200mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Pat the pork dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, and working in batches brown the meat on all sides until a golden crust forms. Transfer the pork to a plate.
To the pan add the onion, celery, and carrot and sweat until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the garlic and sweat another 2 minutes.
Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes to cook off the raw flavor and caramelize it.
Sprinkle with the flour and cook another 2 minutes to cook off its raw flavor.
Whisk in the wine and reduce it by half. Return the pork to the Dutch oven, then stir in the beef stock, parsley stems, and bay leaves.
Add the water if liquid does not come up to the top of the pork. Do not cover the pork with liquid. Cover the pan and place it in the oven to braise until the meat is fork tender, about 3 hours.
Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed. Transfer to a serving platter and serve.
You'll also love
- One Pot Kielbasa Pasta 3.7/5 (245 Votes)
- Just Desserts Blood (Orange) Gelato 3.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Whole Foods Classic Chicken Salad 3.7/5 (102 Votes)
- Onion-Braised Beef Brisket -... 3.7/5 (57 Votes)
- Paula Deen's Cilantro-Lime Grilled... 4/5 (15 Votes)
- Joey's Nachos - Kitchen Boss 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Special Puto 3.3/5 (35 Votes)
- Pork Butt Roast with Vegetables 4/5 (6 Votes)