Wild Rice And Dried Cranberry Dressing
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups wild rice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup medium barley
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or dried cherries)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup roughly-chopped pecans toasted
- 1 large orange segmented, and cut into 3/4" dice
In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the rice, 1 teaspoon of butter, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and stir. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender (but not split), 40 to 45 minutes. Drain, rinse, and drain again, and transfer to a large bowl.
In a separate large saucepan, bring the remaining 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the barley, remaining 1 teaspoon of butter, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and stir. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the barley is tender but retains a crunch, about 40 minutes. Drain, rinse well, and drain the barley. Add the barley to the wild rice.
In a small bowl, place the dried cranberries. Pour in enough boiling water to cover by 1-inch and let sit until plump, about 5 minutes. Drain the cranberries and add to the barley/wild rice mixture.
In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, mustard, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Slowly add the oil in a thin stream, whisking to emulsify. Add the green onions, shallots, parsley, and orange zest, and whisk to incorporate. Pour over the rice and toss to coat. Add the pecans and orange pieces, and toss. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
You'll also love
- Warm Spicy Butter-Poached Shrimp 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Red Snapper In A Coconut Curry... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lentils With Bulgur Wheat And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fillet Of Pork With Rosemary-Apple... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Knott's Berry Farm's Meatloaf 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Knott's Berry Farm's Fried Chicken 3.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Dried Cranberry Compote 0/5 (0 Votes)