Strawberry Shortcake Made With Strawberry Bread
- MACERATED STRAWBERRIES:
- 2 cups sliced hulled fresh strawberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 quart fresh strawberries rinsed, hulled, and sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar - (to 1/3) or more to taste (depending upon the sweetness of the berries)
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- 1 teaspoon finely-grated orange peel
- SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
Place the strawberries in a blender or food processor, and puree on high speed. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, and oil. Add the strawberries and whisk until well blended.
Into a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Fold into the strawberry mixture, blending until moistened. Fold in the nuts, being careful not to overmix. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Let sit for 10 minutes, then turn onto the wire rack to cool completely.
For the Macerated Strawberries: In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir. Cover and let soak in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Using a large serrated knife, cut the cooled shortcake in half horizontally. Place the bottom half, cut-side up on a decorative cake plate. Spread half of the macerated strawberries across the cake and top with the other cake half. Spread the whipped cream across the top piece and top with the remaining strawberries. Serve immediately.
For the Sweetened Whipped Cream: In a bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks start to form. Add the sugar and whip until stiff peaks start to form, being careful not to overwhip. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.