Rocco DiSpirito's Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
- 8 oz. whole wheat fettuccine
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white and lightest green parts only), 1-2 leeks
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 bunch medium asparagus, about 1 lb., peeled from tip to stem with a vegetable peeler until you get thin ribbons
- Butter-flavoured cooking spray
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 gratings from a whole nutmeg
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from houseandhome.com
Step 1: Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and add 2 tbsp salt. Add the fettuccine and cook according to the package instructions for al dente minus 1 minute; set the timer.
Step 2: Place the leeks and the milk in a large microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic, and microwave on high until the leeks are tender, about 6 minutes.
Step 3: Pour the leek and milk mixture into a blender and add 3/4 of the Parmigiano. Process until very smooth.
Step 4: Scrape the contents of the blender into a large nonstick skillet, place over medium-high heat, and bring to a simmer.
Step 5: Once the timer goes off for the pasta, add the asparagus to the pasta water. Cook for 30 seconds, then drain and add the pasta and asparagus to the pan. Cook until the sauce sticks to the pasta, 1-2 minutes. Coat with 16 pumps of butter spray and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Step 6: Divide the pasta among 4 plates and sprinkle with the remaining Parmigiano.