Breakfast: Pineapple Upside-Down Pancakes
To make perfect rings of fresh pineapple, slice in 1/2"-thick circles, then round off the edges and punch out the core with 3 3/4"- and 1 1/4"-diameter cookie cutters, respectively.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1 large pineapple, peeled, cut into eight 1/2" rounds, cored
- 3/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Melt butter with cinnamon stick in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook until butter begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add pineapple slices; cook until light golden brown, 4–5 minutes per side. Remove skillet from heat; add rum and brown sugar. Cook over medium-high heat until juices are thick and syrupy. Transfer pineapple to a plate; let cool. Reserve syrup.
Preheat oven to 325°. Set a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet. Whisk first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add buttermilk and next 3 ingredients; whisk until smooth.
Heat a griddle or large heavy skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat with nonstick spray. Working in batches, pour batter by 1/4-cupfuls onto griddle. Cook each pan- cake until golden brown and bubbles form on top, about 2 minutes. Top each pancake with a pineapple ring. Flip; cook until pancake is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Place pancakes on prepared rack and bake in oven until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Rewarm reserved pineapple syrup. Divide pancakes among plates; drizzle with pineapple syrup.
You'll also love
- Baked: Muffins: (Paleo) Blueberry... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Dublin Coddle Irish Sausage,... 4.1/5 (33 Votes)
- Christmas Maraschino Cherry... 3.9/5 (45 Votes)
- APPLE AND AVOCADO SALSA WITH... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Hawaiian Pork Roast with Pineapple 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Cuban Chicken and Pineapple Salad 4.5/5 (2 Votes)