Million Dollar Pound Cake
Moist, dense pound cake just the way it should be. Delicious on its own, with whipped cream and fresh fruit/berries, or with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup.
- 3 sticks real butter, softened*
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (like Crisco)*
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs (or 5 Jumbo)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk*
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- NOTE: *I used 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup buttermilk. Can also use 4 sticks of butter and omit the shortening.
Grease and flour a 10-cup tube pan, or 2 loaf pans. Set aside. Preheat oven to 300 F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In another large mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening on medium speed of mixer until smooth and very creamy, 3 4 minutes.
GRADUALLY the add sugar, continuing to beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, ONE at a time, beating just until each one is incorporated.
Beat in the flour mixture and milk, ALTERNATELY in thirds, into the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.
Pour into prepared pan/pans.
For tube pan, bake for about 1 hour and 30-40 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, for loaf pans, about 1 hour and 10-15 minutes.
Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.
You'll also love
- Cheesy Honey Mustard Chicken 4.2/5 (61 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Irish Oatmeal Cake 4.3/5 (58 Votes)
- Chicken & Dumplings Pot Pie 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Never-Fail Pound Cake 4.4/5 (44 Votes)
- Homemade Strawberry Pound Cake 4.4/5 (44 Votes)
- Brown Sugar Pound Cake with... 4/5 (96 Votes)
- Italian Cream Cake 4.5/5 (36 Votes)