Best Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
I think these are the best scalloped potatoes I have made.
It is so easy to make the simple sauce. This recipe is so much better than when I used to just layer the flour, milk and butter and see it bubble up and boil over!
The best tip ever? Top the potatoes with crumbled bacon before baking!
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
Adapted from cookingnook.com
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk, 1/2 cup at a time. Heat to boiling. Boil and stir 1 minute.
Arrange potatoes in greased 2 quart casserole in 3 layers, topping each layer with part of the chopped onions and 1/3 of the sauce. Dot the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, broken into little pieces.
Cover and bake at 375ºF until potatoes are tender, about 60-70 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Tips and Variations:
Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese to the sauce and mix to melt. Sprinkle bread crumbs on the top if the potato mixture before baking and bake as above. Easy au gratin potatoes!
Sometimes if I'm in in a hurry I'll use about 1/2 jar of prepared alfredo sauce with the milk instead of thickening with butter and flour.
You'll also love
- Lemon Basil Ice Cream 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Rhubarb, Grapefruit and Thyme... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Bourbon-Pecan Pâté 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Soba Noodles with Beef, Asparagus... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- 7-Layer Greek Meze Dip 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Roasted Zucchini Flatbread with... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Potato Pie with Peppers 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Sweet potato jalapeno soup 4.4/5 (7 Votes)