I find poaching the livers in some chicken broth gives them a milder taste. Serve with apple and/or pear slices to give a little sweetness to the savory pate.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 pound chicken livers, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons bourbon whiskey
- Toasted pecan halves
- Apple and/or pear wedges
- Assorted crackers or toasted bread
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 515mins
Adapted from recipe.com
In a skillet brown the chopped pecans in butter until golden. Remove pecans; set aside. These will be used to garnish the pate.
Add chicken livers, onion, and garlic to skillet. Cook over medium heat until livers are brown and onion is tender. Stir in apple juice, paprika, salt, pepper, and allspice. Reduce heat. Cover; simmer for 3 minutes.
Combine chicken broth and gelatin; let stand for 5 minutes to soften. Stir broth mixture into hot mixture; stir to dissolve gelatin. Remove from heat; stir in bourbon and let the mixture cool slightly.
In a blender container or food processor bowl carefully blend or process about half of the liver mixture at a time until smooth. Stir in chopped pecans. Pour into a lightly oiled 2 1/2 to 3 cup mold.
Cover and chill for 6 hours or until firm or up to 24 hours.
Unmold onto platter; garnish with parsley and pecan halves*. Serve with apple and/or pear wedges and crackers or bread. Makes 16 appetizer servings.
* To help unmold the pate, place the mold in a bowl or sink of warm water just until the edges are loosened from the mold. Invert.