Sugar Kiss Melon Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
While I think Sugar Kiss Melons are truly a treat on their own, they really inspire me to create new and interesting recipes that showcase their flavor.You might not think “ice cream” when presented with a melon, but Sugar Kiss Melons have a sweet and sophisticated flavor that really makes for a knock-out dessert.This ice cream is more than just delicious – it is so easy and so beautiful that you might just find yourself making it throughout the melon season!Of course this ice cream can be a wonderful and elegant dessert to serve at your next dinner party, but I think you’ll also find it works quite nicely as a snack!
- Makes 1-1/2 quarts Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus chilling times
- 4 cups Sugar Kiss melon, cut into large chunks (approximately 1 melon)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt 1 cup mini,
- semisweet chocolate chips
Preparation time 15mins
Adapted from sandstonemelons.com
1. Place the melon chunks in a blender or a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and blend until smooth. (In the beginning you might need to start and stop a couple of times to move around the melon.) Stir in the lime juice and set aside.
2. Pour the cream and half and half into a medium-sized saucepan. Stir in the sugar, vanilla and salt and place it over medium heat. Bring to a boil and immediately turn the heat off. Stir to make sure the sugar is dissolved.
3. Let this cool for about 10 minutes.
4.Slowly, pour the puréed melon into the cream mixture. Stir until all of the ingredients are evenly combined and then let this cool for about 30 minutes. Then, in a tightly sealed container, refrigerate for at least 5 hours, and ideally overnight.
5. Process in an ice cream machine per the manufacturer’s instructions.
6. Mix in the mini chocolate chips and freeze!
You'll also love
- Rhubarb Cobbler 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Cantaloupe and Pineapple Jello... 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Summer Watermelon Salad with... 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
Review this recipe