Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken stock (I used bouillon cubes + boiling water)
- 1/2 lb fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, shredded and chopped
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces grated Colby jack cheese (I used Velveeta)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot Sauce (optional
Sauté the onion (and garlic) in the butter over medium heat. Add in the flour, stirring constantly. Add in the half and half, milk, and chicken stock. Bring to almost a boil.
Add the broccoli and carrots. Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.
Season the soup with the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cardamom. I never could taste the nutmeg or cardamom in mine. Stir in the cheeses (and you can play around with the amounts; use however much or little you like) and let simmer for 10 minutes longer before serving.