Baked Ziti In Mornay Sauce With Italian Sausage And Fennel
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 6 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb cored, sliced thin
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds hot Italian sausage links cut 1/2" pieces
- 1 pound ziti pasta cooked al dente
- 1/4 cup fresh basil cut chiffonade
For the Sauce: In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, 1/2 cup at a time. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook, stirring constantly for 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in 1/2 cup of the grated cheese. Set aside and keep warm.
In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the fennel. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft. Add the sausage and continue to sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the pasta, sausage mixture and Mornay. Mix well. Pour into a greased 2-quart oval baking dish. Sprinkle the top with cheese and place in the oven on the top rack. Bake until the top is golden brown and bubbly, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Spoon onto serving plates and garnish with fresh basil.
Yield: 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Marinated Shitake Mushrooms 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Biba's Own Lobster Pizza 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Fresh Strawberries And... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Quick Turkey Salad Sandwich 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Garlic-Parmesan Mushrooms 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Grilled Turkey Breast 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Fruited Couscous Breakfast 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Asian Ramen Noodle Soup 5/5 (1 Votes)