Luby's Cafeteria's Lemon Sour Cream Cake
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/2 pound softened butter - (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup solid all-vegetable shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 extra-large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour sifted with
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, then add sour cream and milk; mix until smooth. Blend flour mixture into batter; remove beaters and stir in the extracts.
Pour batter into a greased, floured 10-inch tube pan and bake 1 hour 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan 10 minutes. Remove the cake from pan and cool on a rack. Drizzle with Lemon Sauce to serve.
Lemon Sauce: In a medium-size bowl, whisk together sugar, butter and lemon juice until smooth. Use as directed above.
This recipe yields ?? servings.