Fresh Corn Salad
BHG July 2012; per serving: 77 cal, 1 g fat, 401 mg sodium, 17 g carb, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 ears fresh corn
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion (cut to same size as corn kernels), soaked in ice water for 20 minutes and patted dry
- 1/2 cup cucumber, seeded but not peeled (if unwaxed), diced same size as onions
- 1/2 cup red or orange sweet pepper, diced same size as onions
- 1/2 cup cherry or pear tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 3 tbsp parsley, finely torn
- 1 tbsp basil leaves or buds, pulled apart
- 1 tbsp fresh jalapeño, seeds and veins removed, very finely diced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 to 2 cups small arugula leaves
Cooking time 35mins
1. For dressing, in a glass bowl whisk together vinegar, sugar, 1 tsp kosher salt, and black pepper until sugar is dissolved. Allow dressing to stand while preparing salad.
2. For salad, cut corn kernels from cobs. In large bowl, toss corn and remaining ingredients except sea salt and arugula leaves.
3. At serving time, transfer corn mixture to serving bowl. Season with the 1/2 tsp sea salt. Add the dressing; gently thread the arugula leaves. Serve immediately.