Roasted Garlic Vegetable Soup
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lg. yellow onion, chopped
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c. diced, peeled russet potatoes
- 2 c. thinly sliced carrots
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 lg. bunch Swiss chard, stemmed and leaves chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 can (15 oz.)annellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 c. fresh basil leaves
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 300mins
1. Heat oven to 425°.
2. Slice off top third of the garlic and discard. Wrap garlic in foil and roast 40 minutes. Let cool. Unwrap and squeeze roasted garlic into small bowl. Set aside. Discard skin.
3. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 5 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker. Add next 6 ingredients and 2/3 of the reserved garlic (chill remaining garlic).
4. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 4 to 6 hours on low. Add basil and season to taste. Serve soup with remaining garlic to spread on crusty bread.