Chicken Paillards With Saffron Sauce And Tomato Confetti
- 1 large tomato peeled, seeded, and finely diced (or 1 pint small cherry tomatoes, halved)
- 3 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium canned broth
- A large pinch of saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter - (1/4 stick)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream room temperature
Place the diced tomato in a colander and drain for 30 minutes. Mix with the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
Place the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound gently until very thin. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the saffron; stir to dissolve. Reserve.
In a large sauté pan, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Place 3 chicken breasts in the pan and sauté, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a warm platter and keep warm while you sauté the remaining 3 chicken breasts.
Add the chicken stock to the sauté pan and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, 3 to 5 minutes. Gently stir about half of the reduced broth into the sour cream, Stir the diluted sour cream into the remaining reduced broth. Heat gently just until warmed through. Do not boil. Stir in about 1/3 cup of the diced tomato. Taste for seasoning, adding. more salt and pepper if necessary.
To serve, spoon the sauce over the chicken breasts and sprinkle with the remaining tomato confetti.
This recipe yields 6 servings.